Friday, February 01, 2008

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Hello hello!
Hope everyone had a grand January (all 2 of you, sometimes 3 who are resilient to my lack of posting) and are looking forward to (hopefully) warmer February weather.

I have a request, if I might. If you get a chance, please say a prayer for me as I start a medical journey. I was just diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome which is an endocrine disorder that affects approximately one in ten women. It is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, and is a leading cause of infertility.

Basically what's been happening to me is that my menstrual cycle has been completely off-whack since last June, which caused me to look into it with my doctor over the last few months. Last Friday I went for a pelvic ultrasound after blood work came back normal. In the pelvic ultrasound they found many small ovarian cysts. These are believed to be the result of failed ovulation, reflecting the infrequent or absent menstruation that is typical of the condition. In normal menstruation, eggs are released from follicles - essentially cysts that burst to release the egg. One dominant follicle emerges with each menstrual cycle, and after ovulation the follicle remnant shrinks and disappears. In Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, failure of ovulation means that the follicles remain in the ovaries for many months. There may be 10 or more in each ovary, and on ultrasound examination they may give the appearance of a 'string of pearls'. The numerous follicles mean that the ovaries are generally 1.5 to 3 times larger than normal.

At this time, these have been my symptoms, and it's basically the start of out-of-order hormones ruling my menstrual cycle. I've been put onto hormones to try to regulate and control what my body is doing, but I don't know what the complete effect will be after I start. I'm nervous, it's venturing into something that can have serious effects on my fertility, and I'd like to know others are interceding to God with me.

Offhandedly it looks as though being able to diagnose it at this time was a very good thing (as early diagnosis always is), and positive results should eventually ensue. It's one of those things where only time will tell.

Other than that, if you're into wine, I highly recommend tv.winelibrary.com for some 'podcasts' on wine. This guy is awesome. He's the perfect character for this show.

Thanks for your support. When I have results, I'll post how things are going. (Info on PCOS taken from Wiki.)
Peace,
Jane

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,
It was great seeing you last night. I will certainly keep you in my prayers. May God's peace be with you.

DarrylM said...

Hey Jane, sorry I missed this post. You will certainly be in my prayers, too.

Friartuc said...

Jane. You're in my prayers for sure.